We’ve got less than a month to go before the “big day”… we’ve been planning out music, and my fiancée would love for me to play some of my stuff. However, since most of it is ambient and minimal, there really wasn’t much of a place for it, except for maybe dinner or cocktail hour.
Then, collaboratively, we came up with a plan. Using two small portable speakers on either end of the porch we are having cocktails at, I will layer some of my tracks so each end of the porch plays different layers of those tracks, together making up the actual track, very similar to my installation pieces can be used (Layers 1, Layers 2, and Layers 3). Below is a representation of how those will be configured:
This however created a problem…
- I need these to be re-usable, so I can duplicate this process again if needed for other installations down the road.
- I need the speakers to be independent
- I need them to be battery powered
- ….and have a decent battery life
- I need them to support playing MP3’s from a Micro SD card
- Keep this simple, not multiple gadgets strung together
- They need to also be loud enough for people to hear on an open porch with lots of people talking
- Needs to loop at the end of the playlist to the beginning
- Also, be reasonably priced. Due to the cost of the wedding thus far, I did not want to break the bank even further!
Because of the prevalence of Bluetooth speakers, it is very difficult to find something that matches these specifications! I started ordering from Amazon and Jet (free returns!) to test out speakers. After a couple of failures, and hitting up my friends on Facebook for their recommendations, I finally found something that works! Enter the DOSS Touch.
It’s a Bluetooth speaker with an SD Card slot, AUX 3.5mm input jack, rechargeable with a 12 hour playtime, and is decently loud at 12 watts. The controls are easy to use, and, it WILL loop at the end of the playlist, so I do not have to load even more songs on it, and can just use a cheap 8GB Micro SD Card.
Everything I needed… and… it is only $32.99 from Amazon. So, if you are ever in the market to do something like this, or, just need a REALLY good Bluetooth speaker for just over $30, then check this thing out.
If any of you are interested (and let me know in the comments), I can release a special edition on Bandcamp once I’ve done all of the processing on the tracks to be used (tracklist below) and their layered components for your own use?
- A 20 minute excerpt from “Atchafalaya“
- “An Alternative Beauty” from VR:1
- “Independence Day” from Eavesdropping
- “The White Horse” from Eavesdropping
- “Victoria” from Eavesdropping